Watch KK Grow

Stories about life with KK, and some other random topics now and then...

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Have a freedom filled day!

Like everyone else, the political ads are getting to me. During KK's nap today I finally got tired of them and turned off the TV and turned on the stereo. The first thing I heard? A political ad. AAARGH! Then I went to get the mail and it took me 10 minutes to sort out all of the election propaganda! To top it off, campaigners are knocking on our door and/or leaving their junk on our porch. All I've learned is...nothing.

Having said that, I am so grateful to be an American. And with Veteran's Day around the corner I must say that I am SO thankful to the men and women serving our country. Particularly those deployed and having to walk several miles just to get to the chow hall. Or those who have to walk "close to the wire" (I don't know what that means) on the way to get something to eat because they hear a firefight close by.

This afternoon I packaged up items that our family has purchased for the unit of soldiers that we have adopted at the club. They are members of 502nd Military Intelligence Battalion, currently deployed to Iraq. My supervisor has organized this 'adoption,' and we are corresponding with a unit of 8 soldiers (there are a few more in the unit, but they are so humble that they don't want to ask for anything - bless their hearts). More than anything, the soldiers are wanting letters and cards. One soldier said "I write and write to friends at home, but none of them have time to write me back." How sad is that?!?

As time goes on and we send them more packages, they are starting to ask for specific things they'd like to get: "I really don't NEED anything, but a bag of Fl*ming Hot Cheetos would be so great!" or "Do you think your angels can send cigars? Hmmm, well maybe I'll just request a CD then." This last soldier signed his letter off with "Thank you so much. Have a freedom filled day!" That one got me a little choked up. (We're sending him three fat cigars, and will send more if this batch doesn't get ruined in the mail.)

God, it's nice to be able to take my daughter to the park and feel safe. It's nice to have the option to drive to the grocery store and buy a practical lifetime supply of Fl*ming Hot Cheetos if I want them. It's nice to not have to worry about getting blown up by an IED on the way there. It's nice to have my own car, a warm house, plenty of clothes, and a hot shower every morning. It's nice to be able to lay on the couch and watch TV - sh*tty campaign ads and all - without worrying about getting shot at. It's hard to believe that not everyone has these simple pleasures - that in fact most of the people in the world do not. Not even our own countrymen and women, serving thousands of miles away. I am thankful.

Our family is sending a bunch of t-shirts, socks, CD's, hot chocolate, cheetos, beef jerkey, candy and cigars. Oh, and the crayons and paper that one soldier requested...I'll bet she'd do anything to get her mind off of where she is, and I can see how coloring must be very relaxing over there! Their requests are very simple - and all they really want is to hear their name at mail call and to know that someone remembers that they are there.

After my supervisor started this, I got curious about how to connect with other soldiers. There are lots of websites, but the one that caught my attention is www.anysoldier.com. Click on "Where to Send" to read real messages from soldiers, and see how simple their requests are. Unfortunately you have to jump through some hoops to send packages (filling out a customs form) - but I'm sure you could send letters without having to do that - and that means more to them than anything else!

I know I am thankful to live here, and these soldiers have lost their freedom, or in some cases their lives (for what reason, if any, I don't know). They are stuck far away from home and deserve to know they are cared about. So, consider sending something to a soldier during this month of Thanksgiving.

Oh, and "Have a freedom filled day!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home